Assistant Professor and Head (in charge)
BA in Mass Communication and Journalism, University of Dhaka
MA in Mass Communication and Journalism, University of Dhaka
Mr. Rafiquzzaman Ruman achieved his graduation and post graduation degrees in Mass Communication and Journalism from University of Dhaka. Before joining MIU, he served three years as Lecturer for the Department of Communication and Media Studies at University of Development Alternative (UODA). Mr. Ruman has more than 12 years of experience in teaching in university at graduate and post-graduate levels of communication, journalism and media studies discipline. His major concentration of academic area includes communication theories, mass media research, development communication and media advocacy, news gathering and reporting, and media ethics and laws. Along with teaching, Mr. Ruman is extensively involved in training programs arranged for national and local journalists by PIB, Article 19 and other organizations. He regularly conducts training sessions for media professionals and government officials including BCS (information) Cadres.
Mr. Rafiquzzaman Ruman is an adjunct faculty of National Institute of Mass Communication (NIMC), an institute under the Ministry of Information of Peoples’ Republic of Bangladesh, for its Post Graduate Diploma Course in Broadcast Journalism run by University of Dhaka.
Rafiquzzaman authored two books along with some ten research articles that have been published in national and international journals. He presented dozens of papers in various national and international conferences.
Rafiquzzaman Ruman regularly writes columns and opinions in national dailies. Over hundreds of his articles/columns have been published on various national, social and media issues.
Mr Ruman has experiences in conducting social research for more than 10 years in partnership with national and international organizations mostly include International Labor Organization (ILO), Save The Children, Handicap international, Concern Worldwide, UCEP, IED, Dhaka Ahsania Mission, Social Development Foundation (SDF), Article 19, International Republican Institute (IRI) and Uttaran.
He is also an enlisted script writer for Bangladesh Betar (Radio), the national broadcaster of the country, of its various popular programs. He anchored a weekly talk-show named Bangabandhu ò Bangladesh in Bangladesh Betar (Radio).
1. National Risk & Threat Assessment on Media Workers in Bangladesh in November to December 2019 commissioned by Article 19.
2. Needs assessment study on Livelihoods Practices in Ukhiya and Teknaf Upazila, Cox’s Bazar during August to September 2019 commissioned by Uttaran.
3. Tracer Study of UCEP Skills Training Graduates during June to July 2019 commissioned by UCEP.
4. Sustained and Expanded Effort to Make the Ultra poor Out of Extreme Poverty by Transferring Assets, Cash and Skill in an Integrated Approach (SEMPTI), an evaluation study commissioned by the Uttaran, Khulna in October 2015.
5. Making it Work: Access to Justice for Persons with disabilities in Bangladesh, a study commissioned by Handicap International in July 2015.
6. Developed Information, Education and Communication (IEC) Strategy for Social Development Foundation (SDF) as a Communication Researcher with Robaet Ferdous and Dr. Sheikh Shafiul Islam in June 2015.
7. Public-Private Partnership in Technical and Vocational Education and Training Sector in Bangladesh: Opportunities and Challenges, a study commissioned by Save the Children during September – November 2014.
8. Media Monitoring on the 10th National Parliament Election of Bangladesh, A study commissioned by the International Republican Institute (IRI) and Fare Election Monitoring Alliance (FEMA), during December 2013 to February 2014.
9. Best Practices Documentation of SC-UCEP TVET Project, commissioned by Save the Children, during January 2014 to March 2014.
10. Final Evaluation of the ‘Transforming the Lives of Urban Homeless People through Amra-o-Manush Model Project, a study conducted for Concern Worldwide during July – August 2014.
11. Situation and Needs Analysis of Female Workers in Rice Mills, A study commissioned by International Labor Organization (ILO), Bangladesh and conducted by Development Consultant and Global Compliance Initiative (DCGCI) during July-August 2012.
12. Policy Research and Perception Study to Identify and Understand the Problems and Bottlenecks Constraining Spread of Primary Education and Reduction of Poverty in Four Districts of Bangladesh, A study commissioned by The Asia Foundation and Institute for Environment and Development (IED) during January 2012 to March 2012.
13. Needs Assessment of the Journalists of Chittagong Hill Tracts, during June-July 2012, commissioned by International Labor Organization (ILO).
TVET Mapping and Needs Assessment Study funded by Save the Children during September – October 2012.
MSS in Mass Communication and Journalism from University of Dhaka (held in 2008)
BSS in Mass Communication and Journalism from University of Dhaka
HSC in Humanities from Dhaka College
SSC in Science from Babuganj Pilot High School, Barisal
Publications (major ones):
1. Oshahayotter Dinlipi (Days of Helplessness), 2016, Joyotee, Dhaka.
2. Shurur Shesh (End of the Beginning), 2009, Joyotee, Dhaka.
1. (Women in Women's Chapter: Islamic Perspective) Proceedings of International Conference on Women Rights in Islam held on 5-6 February, 2019 by Aliah University, Kolkata, India. ISBN: 81-88-792-53-5.
2. (Coverage of Harry-Meghan Weeding in Bangladesh Media: Analysis on Information Compatibility), Samajik Bigayan Patrika, Dhaka University Studies, part-D, Volume 12, December 2018. ISSN: 1562-269X. (with Professor Robaet Ferdous).
3. (Contents of Entertainment Pages of Bangladesh Newspapers: An Analysis Regarding Information Compatibility), National Institute of Mass Communication Journal, Year 2, Volume 2, 2018. (With Professor Dr. Abul Mansur Ahmed).
4. (Analysis on The Application of Journalistic Principles in Online Newspapers of Bangladesh), The Dhaka University Studies, 2017.
5. Problems and Prospects of Online Newspapers in Bangladesh: Implications over Print Media, National Institute of Mass Communication Journal, Year 1, Volume 1, May 2017. (With Professor Dr. Abul Mansur Ahmed).
6. (Tendency of Using Bangla Language in Newspapers), “Matribhasha” , Vol. 2, NO. 1, International Mother Language Institute, 2016. (With Dr. Sheikh Shafiul Islam).
7. Developing Community Radio in Bangladesh: A Critical Overview, Social Science Review (The Dhaka University Studies, Part-D), Volume 28, Number 2, December 2011. (With Professor Dr. Abul Mansur Ahmed).
Teaching, Training, Writing, Public Speaking etc.